1. Iggy has never had to carry a team a full season. Lets see how he does getting double and triple teamed all night every night. It could be a long season for Iggy. He should take his money now. The question remains: was last years Iggy the best we will see? He strained his back after carrying the team for half a season, which limit my expectations. All in all, Iggy is not a number one scorer, rather a great second scorer. He desparately needs someone to hit a spark on offense, someone like Rodney Carney, Louis Williams or Samuel Dalembert. This could easily be the downfall of the 2007/08 Sixers' season. Iggy can not do it alone, who is the guy that steps up? Right now I have no clue and that qeustion has 4 days to be answered.
2. Reggie Evans has never played more than 20 minutes a game in his career, and they'll ask him for much more than that. Can he handle it? Will his offensive woes hurt the team? I don't buy into his 20 point performance in preseason. The team already lacks on offense, giving Evans more than 20 minutes per game will seriously hurt this team and could cost them some games. He will no doubt improve rebounding on the defensive and offensive end, but in the end how much will he impact the games? I don't see him as an impact kind of guy, rather an energy guy who gets garbage points. We had that before with Lynch and Tyrone Hill, but at least they had a slim amount of offensive game. Evans would be great on a team like Washington where they have great shooters and can afford for him to be a role player. Unfortunitely we do not have that luxery right now.
3. Jason Smith, Herb Hill and Thaddeus Young have never played in the NBA. They should tire out sometime mid season. The NBA season is twice as long as the college season, so we'll see how it goes. Smith is going to be counted on for minutes at the 4 and 5 position, so he's a likely candidate for fatigue. I know they won't play major minutes, but expecting one or two of these guys to get any regular and consistent minutes is a bit of a stretch. Smith should get around 20 minutes per game, and with his fearless attitude and reckless style, how long will he last? He hasn't gone up against any of the premiere big men yet, so I'm taking a wait and see approach to how he handles the intangibles of the NBA. Herb Hill should see around 5-10 minutes per game based on his rebounding alone. Frankly, I do not see much difference between Hill and Evans. In fact, I like Hill's offensive game over Evans and Evans with the slim advantage over Hill on defense.
4. Samuel Dalembert has a lingering injury which could carry throughout the entire season. Getting Sammy back doesn't excite me either. He's not that big of an upgrade over Calvin Booth. He's a big that found his niche on offense last season shooting from the perimeter. This is exactly what we don't need right now. With troubles on offense, I see this team settling for a ton of low percentage, mid range jump shots. Sammy cannot stay around the perimeter period. Although most of the time he's lost on both sides of the ball and gets into foul trouble way too early, he has a excellent ability to throw it down close to the net. That is his job. Plus, with more time spending with Andre Miller, the chemistry 'should' be improved. Will his injury slow him down? Speed is his greatest attribute, especially when defending on the weak side. He needs to show the same consistency he showed last season for this team to have any kind of success.
5. Will Mo Cheeks play Louis Williams? The kid has to play, whether it's at PG or SG. He is the best scorer on this team and on a team with one player who can put the ball in the hoop. How will Willie Green's minutes impact the time LouWill gets on the court? Will Mo favor the vet Willie over Williams? LouWill is on path for a break out year and keeping him on the bench would be a huge mistake. Louis Williams should be the number 3 player off the bench this season, right after Korver and Jason Smith. I expect 20 minutes per game for Williams and even more than that on good nights. He is the top candidate for breakout player of the year IMO and should see a good amount of nights in the starting lineup based on the matchups.