Wednesday, December 24, 2008

NBA Draft talk

This is a very weak draft imo (which means literally nothing because like in any draft it is a complete crapshoot). There are only two players that are bonafied superstars imo and they are Ricky Rubio and Blake Griffin. Rubio has Derrick Rose potential, and Griffin is a clone of Karl Malone. Both are 1 and 2 and are interchangeable. That much is a given.

Now the rest...top 5 based on Sixer needs.

I've had the pleasure of watching Jordan Hill from Arizona multiple times and the talk of him being the most improved player in college is absolutely spot on. Hill made his mark as a Cdeib favorite as just a premiere defensive big man out of the Pac 10. Not anymore. Hill has developed the post skills and touch inside the paint needed to be a top tier big man prospect. After watching several of his games, I have come out with my jaw dropping. Everyone may think 'we already have Brand and Speights blah blah blah'. But the disapointment that the Sixers are, you can't pass up on talent, which is exactly what the Sixers lack.

James Harden might be the best basketball player in this draft. As a medium sized SG, Harden is a finesse type guard that uses his body and fundamentals to fill up the stat sheet. Harden has all the ability to take over in the college level, but I'm not that positive that it will translate to the NBA level. A lot of Harden's points come from inside the paint, and even though Harden has an excellent jumpshot, it's not any where near the level it needs to be (yet). Still, all things considered, Harden is THE top player on the Sixers big board. Harden would be a perfect fit on the Sixers run and gun type of offense. When I think of Harden I think of Mardy Collins with higher offensive skills.

Al Farouq Aminu is the best player in college you haven't heard of. With a Hakim Warrick-esque body and higher developed offensive and defensive skills (just a freshman), there is no doubt in my mind that Aminu will be a top ten pick in this draft. While Hakim Warrick has difficulty translating to the NBA as a wingman, Aminu fits in perfectly with a better handle and better overall skill set. While I understand that Aminu is a SF and we already have Thad and Iggy, there is no chance the Sixers can pass up on this talent. Aminu may have the most potential out of any player in this draft.

Stephen Curry might not be a popular player to select in the lottery. What is the biggest weakness on the Sixers? Everyone will tell you a lack of a shooter. While Curry might not be a pure starter in the NBA, a lot of people said the same thing about Ben Gordon when he was drafted. While undersized, Stephen Curry has shown IMMENSE improvement in his point guard skills. I know I may end up eating my words, but Stephen Curry might be the best NBA ready player in this draft (even above Blake Griffin). Curry is exactly what he is, a gunner with the ability to take a team on his shoulders. Isn't that what we need? I'm in love with this kid. I think he is exactly what we need, which is why I have him as number two on my Sixers big board.

Brandon Jennings.... I don't really know much about this guy because I haven't seen him play. The truth is he was the top high school prospect in America and he has apparently played well in Europe so far, which is a surprise imo. There is no doubt that Jennings will be jumping to the NBA, and that Andre Miller will be traded or leave to another team by the end of this season. Jennings is a point guard prospect with super athleticism. That's all I can really tell you about him until I see him play more. Based on what I've read and heard about him, he is worth taking a waiver.

The best of the rest: (in order of Sixer need)

Darren Collison
Jrue Holiday
Demar Derozan
Patrick Patterson
Dejuan Blair
Hasheem Thabeet
Gani Lawal

Thoughts?

No comments: